Mittwoch, 16. September 2009

A Love Letter to Noynoy

By Maria Reylan M. Garcia, Young Voice, The News Today Online Edition

It was better than Shakespeare. It was shorter than any novel, but the three pages told a life story of love. It was the shortest epic of love, the love of a father to his son and the love of a man to his country. It was typewritten and a few parts had some erasures. The piece of literature was a letter from a bespectacled man who never lost hope in his fellowmen. In his letter, he told his 15-year-old son, “There is no greater nation on earth than our motherland. No greater people than our own. Serve them with all your heart, with all your mind and with all your strength.” That man entrusted his country to his son. In a few years time, that man was killed in the soil of the country he loved, was declared a hero and his face became the insignia of Philippine democracy.

It was Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino, Jr.’s letter to his son, Benigno “Noynoy”Aquino III. Every time I would withdraw from the ATM, before I place the bills inside my wallet I am always reminded that a man called Ninoy said, that a pimply eighteen year old girl who just received her whole month’s allowance along with others of her race was worth dying for.

I only knew Ninoy from the documentary films and history textbooks. I only saw his charismatic speeches from video streaming websites. But long since I knew of his contribution, I had considered him as one of my personal heroes. I downloaded a scan of Ninoy’s letter to the adolescent Noynoy that sounded more like a last will and testament. Ninoy wrote this letter after he had decided to forego his participation in the proceedings of the Military Commission who will try him for his charges of illegal possession of firearms and murder.

I do not know how Noynoy felt while reading his father’s letter; if it was me I could have cried a bucketful.

Last September 9, 2009, in the very same site where his president mother, the late Corazon Aquino was inaugurated, Noynoy announced his bid for candidacy in the 2010 presidential elections. Noynoy, now 49, is more than determined to continue unraveling his dad’s dreams for the country. Within seconds of Noynoy’s announcement, millions of opinions echoed the commentaries of every medium. Some say Noynoy will be the resurrection of his parents’ tandem that Noynoy will continue the Laban. Some would disagree and throw out to rubbish the like-father-like-son or the like-mother-like-son ideology. Some believe that Noynoy is just made to look eligible by his parents’ influence more so his mother’s recent death or even his younger sister’s natural charisma and not of his own accord.

I am not a political analyst. I do not have much knowledge on what can influence the rise and fall of survey polls. But I am a registered voter and eventually I will have to pick my choice, I will have to elect my president. I am still not sure whether or not I will actually vote for Noynoy but quite frankly I have a jar of hope allotted for him. Considering his familial background, his moral stand and his capacity to make a strong presidentiable back-out and concentrate on wedding plans, Noynoy may have a chance, well a huge chance to get my vote at least.

What I am looking for in a president is beyond the academic education and bulk of wealth. We had plenty of those and each one had transformed into power-hungry monsters who had simply rubbished their idealistic promises. What I am looking for in a president is beyond the experience and seniority. We had plenty of those some even took every step of government hierarchy but eventually ran the country like an impulsive amateur. What I am looking for in a president is simply a good moral foundation and the capacity to unite a country. We are divided geographically and the last thing we need is a societal faction. There are many presidentiables who continue to make themselves smell like roses in springtime through their numerous charity works. But, these are actually to mask their previous scandals and mischievousness. As of now, in my opinion, Noynoy bears the cry of an almost united Philippines. Noynoy is the conscious reality of a Filipino’s dream of change. Noynoy is the Filipino’s hope of the revival of the 80’s advocacy. I just hope he will be able to maintain that.

The last line of Ninoy’s letter to Noynoy was, “Son, the ball is now in your hands.” I will not compare Noynoy to Ninoy although at times I get their names mixed up. They are different individuals. The ball is now in Noynoy’s hands, this is the dream of his father, the dream of the Philippines in the past. I am looking forward at how Noynoy will dribble and shoot the ball. He may still need improvements. Lucky for him he has an MVP brother-in-law.

This is not a campaign for Noynoy Aquino. I am not paid to favor him. Actually, I am still unsure whether or not to vote for him.

But he has the greater chance to unite the Philippines. He has the greater chance to put to life one of the greatest love stories I have read. We’ll see.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen